Sustainable Consultant, Facilities Management
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. Working with more than 2,000 businesses worldwide, we use our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities where they are needed most. Visit www.ifc.org.
IFC's Budget & Administration Department (CBA) is part of the Corporate Strategy and Resources Vice Presidency and plays a significant role in achieving IFC’s mission. Department responsibilities include business strategy formulation, budgeting, investment support, reporting & analytics, administration, procurement, Real Estate/facilities management and global security among others. CBA has the mandate to connect the dots across the organization and bring insight and consistency to IFC’s resource management.
IFC’s Real Estate/Facilities Management and Procurement unit is part of CBA and is responsible for IFC’s corporate real estate, facilities management, IFC security services oversight, capital budgeting for real estate and IFC’s procurement function.
IFC is headquartered in Washington DC and has 100 Country Offices globally across six continents, totaling approximately 2.3 million gross square feet (1.3 million gross square feet in Washington and 1.0 million gross square feet outside the United States). These facilities are a mix of owned and leased real estate.
IFC is seeking a competent E T Consultant - Corporate Real Estate Environmental Sustainability Officer to lead work-programs related to policies, procedures, and practices to enhance IFC’s sustainability commitment within its real estate global portfolio. Your focus will be on waste management, energy management, water efficiency, food and catering, sustainability related building certifications (LEED, EDGE, etc), and sustainability data collection (energy, waste, water, other) and reporting. Additionally, you will lead the annual greenhouse gas inventory process and the purchase of carbon offsets and renewable energy credits.
The position will be based in Washington DC, USA. The selected candidate’s direct reporting line will be to the Manager, IFC Corporate Real Estate and Procurement Manager.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Improve the environmental footprint of IFC headquarters (over a million square foot located in Washington DC, nearly half of IFC’s building footprint globally), including waste, water and energy use related programs, and provide reports and data in a timely manner.
- Support identifying new—and optimizing existing—building sustainability initiatives which includes research on facilities best practices on environmental policies and procedures and practices [examples of initiatives include: cafeteria reusable takeout container and reuse office supply (greening-room) programs in HQ, staff-facing waste management and composting programs]; support related building audits; build connections with other corporate policies guidelines and practices (procurement for example); communicate information that will motivate staff to participate in these programs.
- Develop and implement communications to staff on IFC’s sustainability commitment and programs related to corporate real-estate—which includes in-person training events, signage, articles/ blogs/ announcements, and toolkits; leverage IFC Footprint Champion Network to act as ambassadors of related programs to their fellow staff members.
- Maintain relationship with key partners to environmental facility programs such as catering and janitorial vendors, office supply vendors, etc.
- Help support IFC’s Corporate Real-estate team in achieving and maintaining sustainable building certifications in key locations.
- Support IFC’s carbon neutrality commitment through: research and implementation of carbon reduction initiatives; act as point of contact for yearly planning cycle related to carbon-reduction facilities-level improvements; track planned energy efficiency projects against reductions required for carbon target.
- Coordinate with World Bank Corporate Responsibility team on annual greenhouse gas inventory and offset purchases; coordinate with global facilities network, external vendors and corporate procurement on annual carbon offset and REC purchases; work with IFC Communications on related reporting requirements.
- Collect and process facilities-related sustainability data and manage related reporting which includes inputs into: IFC Annual Report, Global Reporting Initiative, Carbon Disclosure Project; Sustainable United Nations; ESG Investor Rating Agency Reports
- Act as focal point on WBG working groups related to environmental responsibility within Corporate Real-estate management