Sustainability Advocate – paid spring internship - Washington DC
Clean Water Action is currently accepting applications for our 2020 spring internship program. Our internship provides motivated and talented individuals an opportunity to gain hands-on experience in politics, communications, fundraising and advocacy.
Since our founding during the campaign to pass the landmark Clean Water Act in 1972, Clean Water Action has worked to win strong health and environmental protections by bringing issue expertise, solution-oriented thinking and people power to the table. We will protect clean water in the face of attacks from a polluter friendly Administration and Congress.
Interns will work alongside our full time professional outreach team to engage communities in local, state and national issues, informing and educating the public, building support and channeling that support into action. This fall we will work on:
- Elections: hold elected officials accountable to protecting the environment and public health.
- Clean Water: Protect the nation’s waterways to keep our drinking water and recreational areas pristine
- Environmental Justice: Ensure that our lowest income neighborhoods and most vulnerable populations are not disproportionately burdened by negative environmental externalities.
- Sustainable Energy: Promote energy efficiency and renewable energy programs that will help mitigate climate change disasters, improve overall public health, and create a green working economy.
- Receive regular briefings from the state director as well as other environmental professionals from around the country.
- Work with a trainer one on one and in groups on communication skills.
- Get regular feedback from trainers and managers on performance with tips for how to improve.
- Hone public speaking and communication skills.
- Promote community action on progressive issues to influence national, state, and local decision makers.
- Provide communication with people that is independent of the mass media
- Recruit members by collecting signatures and contact info.
- Raise funds to support our research, lobbying and educational campaigns
- Gain knowledge of state and federal politics, campaign strategies, and environmental issues.
- Paid training
- Rewarding work with a casual work setting.
- Participate in cultural competency training and be a part of a shared commitment to justice, equity, diversity and inclusion.
- High performing interns will be considered for future employment and leadership positions
- Opportunities for travel throughout the U.S., including national and regional conferences
- Potential to earn college credit
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive politics and environmental issues
- Interest in non-profit career development is a plus.
3 weekdays per week, 3pm-10:00pm, 12 weeks, minimum commitment
As an office we are committed to reflecting the community we are working in and POC, LGBTIQ folks, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.