Community Organizer - Environmental Justice
Ohio Citizen Action is Ohio’s largest non-profit environmental and consumer rights organization. With over 30,000 individual members here in OH, we are at the forefront of grassroots efforts to protect our state’s environment and public health. Ohio Citizen Action works locally to sustain and improve environmental standards, preserve our invaluable natural resources and promote democratic processes in which the voice of the citizens determines the policy that affects our communities and quality of life.
Ohio Citizen Action is currently hiring individuals to lead local grassroots campaigns to protect the health, economy, environment and livelihood of Ohio communities. Ideal candidates possess strong communication skills and a genuine commitment to the environment, progressive politics and the empowerment of our fellow OH residents. We work on a wide variety of public health, sustainability and environmental issues, but are currently focusing efforts on:
- Clean Water: Reducing Ohio’s dependency on coal, which is the leading cause of lead, mercury, and arsenic into Lake Erie and the Ohio River.
- Consumer Rights: Stopping rate hikes on electric utility bills.
- Environmental Justice: Ensure that our lowest income neighborhoods and most vulnerable populations are not disproportionately burdened by negative environmental externalities.
- Sustainable Energy: Promote energy efficiency and renewable energy programs that will help mitigate climate change disasters, improve overall public health, and create a green working economy
*Extensive paid training
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- Two weeks paid vacation per year, plus paid holidays and sick days
- Rapid advancement and management training
- Opportunities for travel throughout the U.S., including national and regional conferences
- Positive and rewarding work environment
$400-$515/wk + weekly bonuses
Excellent communication skills required. Candidates should posses a strong commitment to environmental, social, and political justice, a positive attitude, and a good sense of humor
Please call the office or email a copy of your resume to get more information about the position and to possibly set up an interview.
Ohio Citizen Action provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.