16+ Forum Internship
The World Federation of United Nations Associations (WFUNA) is a global non-profit organization working for a stronger and more effective United Nations (UN). Established in 1946, we represent and coordinate a membership of over 100 United Nations Associations and their thousands of members. We work to build a better world by strengthening and improving the UN, through the engagement of people who share a global mindset and support international cooperation – global citizens.
The 16+ Forum intern will assist WFUNA’s Senior 16+ Forum Coordinator and Policy Officer with the organization’s 16+ Forum related work. The intern will have general WFUNA’s staff duties. This position is based in WFUNA’s New York office and applicants must have a valid US Visa.
- Assist the Senior 16+ Forum Coordinator and Policy Officer in following relevant UN processes and events related to WFUNA’s 16+ Forum work, particularly with regards to the Sustainable Development Goal Summit (24-25 September), and the 16+ Forum 2019 Timor-Leste Annual Showcase (11-14 November).
- Support research on SDG 16+ implementation universally and across all stakeholders.
- Contribute to 16+ Forum written materials, including concept notes, agendas and other documents.
- Actively coordinate with partner organizations to further the movement for SDG 16+.
- Conduct outreach to national and international stakeholders to promote the participation of key national stakeholders and advance country ownership of SDG 16+.
- Attend meetings and liaise with civil society representatives, UN personnel, and UN Missions.
- Support the planning, coordination, and execution of high-level ministerial events as related to the 16+ Forum, its partnerships, and the greater SDG 16+ community.
- Participate in meetings of relevant civil society networks and working groups and report back on discussions, outcomes and action items.
- Support the 16+ Forum Coordinator and Policy Officer in coordination with all work as related to the 2030 interlinkages and sustaining peace, including liaising with other WFUNA staff, partners and donors.
- Organizing meetings, conference calls, and events; taking notes and drafting summaries; and producing other project-related materials, including timelines and checklists.
- Update and maintain contact lists, mailing lists, and manage reports in Salesforce database.
- Assist in administrative duties, such as answering phones, printing/copying, and other data entry.
- Assist with communications and outreach activities, correspondence, website updates and social media.
- Undergraduate degree required, postgraduate degree or coursework towards a graduate-level degree preferred.
- Ability to self-start, prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and technical skills.
- Interest in international affairs, sustainable development, governance, anti-corruption, the rule of law and access to justice, participatory decision-making, violence reduction, and/or sustaining peace.
- Fluency in English is required; knowledge of a foreign language is a plus.
- Experience with Salesforce or database management is a plus.
- Experience with social media and website management is a plus.
- Preference will be given to candidates who possess prior experience/knowledge of UN activities related to Sustainable Development Goals of the 2030 Agenda.
- Access to UN Headquarters in New York, conferences, events and resources.
- Professional Development through in-office training and experience working on UN priority issues related to governance, prevention and UN Security Council reform, among others.
- Networking opportunities and ability to make contact with UN staff, diplomats, civil society members from around the world.
- This internship is unpaid, but a monthly MTA card will be provided.