Associate Investment Officer - IFC Young Professionals Program
Job #: req4027
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC
Required Language(s): English, Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, French, Portuguese
Closing Date:10/1/2019 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
The IFC Young Professionals Program (IFC YPP) is the successor to the Global Transaction Team Program (GTT Program). The GTT Program has been IFC's flagship recruitment and rotation program for entry-level associate investment officers since 1998 and has made a strong contribution to attracting and retaining talented and diverse investment professionals. The program has been redesigned to align to IFC's operational model, to provide an attractive employer value proposition for participants, and to foster the development of globally mobile leaders across IFC. As part of the redesign, the program has been expanded and re-branded as the IFC Young Professionals Program (IFC YPP).
IFC’s Young Professionals Program offers a unique opportunity to launch a global career as an investment professional helping to build the private sector in developing countries. Participants join as Associate Investment Officers who are responsible for identifying, structuring, closing and monitoring IFC’s loans and investments as you build expertise through assignments in different countries, close to our clients. IFC’s approach is to combine rigorous analysis, innovative deal structuring and a focus on financial sustainability and positive development impact.
We are looking for current students or recent graduates of MBA or Master’s degree programs with strong financial skills, professional achievement, leadership potential and a demonstrated commitment to development.
The three- year program is structured to provide participants with a solid understanding of IFC’s business and strategy, a global network, and regional experience in one of IFC's industry groups (Financial Institutions Group; Infrastructure and Natural Resources; Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Services; and TMT, Venture Capital & Funds). Following a series of interviews successful applicants receive offers directly from industry departments for positions in the IFC headquarters. For more information, please visit the IFC Young Professionals Program
Duties and Responsibilities
You will be part of a multi-disciplinary team focused on identifying investment opportunities, executing transactions and actively managing portfolio projects. In this role, your objective will be to maximize the impact of IFC’s intervention and contribute to the development of our countries of operation by executing innovative, developmental, and profitable investments for IFC.
- Analyze operational and financial performance of potential client companies to identify opportunities, address risks and recommend investment options
- Evaluate the benefits and risks of new transactions and develop innovative and appropriate financial structures
- Participate in negotiations
- Supervise project implementation, including disbursements
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients and other stakeholders
- Coordinate closely with social, environmental, and technical assistance colleagues to add value to our clients' businesses and achieve sustainable development impact
- 3 to 6 years of prior relevant work experience (investment banking, project finance, private equity, corporate finance, portfolio management, or financial consulting); and
- Current students or recent graduates of MBA or similar
- Experience in international finance, demonstrated leadership and passion for sustainable private sector development
- Strong analytical and credit assessment skills, as well as solid understanding of accounting and financial statement analysis
- Knowledge of relevant industry sector trends
- Sound business judgment and problem solving, negotiation and commercial skills
- Ability to develop new business and effectively focus on client needs
- Enthusiasm for working in multi-cultural teams and across borders, preferably with experience working in developing countries
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English; fluency in other languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Spanish or Russian) preferred
- Willingness to travel extensively and geographic flexibility
- Participants are expected to be geographically flexible and interested and able to relocate as business needs require
- Must obtain Master's or MBA degree by June 2020
The World Bank Group values diversity and encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of World Bank Group member countries to apply, regardless of gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability. Sub-Saharan African nationals, Caribbean nationals, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.