COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST, FINANCE CENTER
In this role, you will help lead outreach for WRI’s Finance Center. Working with the Center’s experts and partners, you will develop and execute high-impact outreach strategies, distilling technical research into compelling, actionable messages to influence key decision-makers. You will also manage the Center’s ad hoc and rapid-response communications, coordinating media outreach, drafting blogs and editorial content, managing the Center’s social media platforms and digital presence on WRI.org, hosting events and more.
You will report to the Global Director of the Finance Center, work closely with WRI’s Core Communications team and collaborate with a global network of communications professionals embedded across the Institute, including colleagues in our international offices.
- Develop and execute strategic communications plans for high-priority projects within the Finance Center, working with staff and leadership across the Institute to identify outreach opportunities and increase the visibility of WRI research, analysis and experts across target audiences.
- Distill technical research, analysis, data and policy recommendations into compelling messages that resonate with leaders in government, civil society, the private sector and other key audiences.
- Manage and increase the Finance Center’s online engagement, including: overseeing websites, email marketing and social media channels to connect with audiences and build effective partnerships for change.
- Work with WRI’s Core Communications team to pitch stories to reporters and respond to media inquiries related to sustainable finance; work proactively to channel the Center’s activities and knowledge products to media outlets to achieve real-world outcomes.
- Write and edit a wide range of internal and external communications materials, including but not limited to blog posts, op-eds, press releases, media advisories, press statements, newsletters, e-blasts, website content and presentations.
- Develop and execute creative ways to translate the Finance Center’s analysis into compelling storylines and multimedia content, such as videos, infographics, data visualizations and photographs.
- Regularly track and evaluate metrics of success; adopt new strategies to grow and improve outreach results over time.
- Coordinate and promote internal and external events, including a seminar series, to increase the Center’s visibility as a thought leader on sustainable finance.
- Collaborate with research staff and communications professionals across WRI’s programs, centers and international offices to support projects as well as identify opportunities for more impactful partnership across the Institute.
- Improve internal communications and promote awareness of the Finance Center’s work within WRI.
- Bachelor’s degree required in communications, public relations, journalism or a related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of full-time, professional experience working in communications, with a salient link to international sustainable development, finance or broader environmental issues
- Proven ability to lead the planning, coordination and execution of communications products targeted to specific audiences
- Articulate, versatile and highly skilled writer with professional writing experience
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office environment, both independently and as part of a global team
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to encourage collaboration with other programs, international offices and partners
- Highly motivated, proactive work style and excellent organizational skills
- Proven ability to think creatively and collaboratively about all elements of communications work
- Adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and able to manage multiple deadlines and deliver high-quality work products
- Strong commitment to WRI’s mission and values
- Experience working with reporters or members of the media preferred
- International experience or prior work in a global organization preferred
- US work authorization is required for all WRI US opportunities. WRI is not able to offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
How to Apply
Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
The mission of WRI’s Finance Center is to promote the shift of finance away from environmentally unsustainable activities and toward sustainable ones. We do this through the production of data-driven, policy-actionable research and knowledge products and by convening coalitions of key stakeholders that can drive action on the ground. Our team is multidisciplinary and brings together experience from academia and the public, private, and non-profit sectors. The Finance Center supports the rest of WRI as we seek to tackle WRI’s Global Challenges. We do so through deep, multi-year partnerships with a subset of WRI Programs, through cross-cutting activities designed to influence financial institutions and markets, and through the provision of tailored technical advice to WRI’s programs and international offices. Our work is structured around five key themes: (1) financing NDC implementation, (2) “greening” private sector finance, (3) strengthening public financial institutions, (4) encouraging the U.S. and China to be sustainable finance champions, and (5) strengthening investment in adaptation and resilience.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges, and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $120 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 900+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.
The World Resources Institute (http://www.wri.org) is an environmental and development research and policy organization that creates solutions to protect the Earth and improve people’s lives. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, protected veteran status, or disability. WRI’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI's policy research and analysis. WRI, therefore, encourages applications from U.S. minorities, persons from other countries (especially developing nations), and from women of all backgrounds.