Green Schools Program Management Intern
The Green Schools Events and Outreach Internship is focused on research, outreach and logistics for the Green Schools Conference and School District Sustainability Leadership Summit that will draw over 500 attendees to Portland, Oregon in March 2020. The Green Schools Conference and Expo is the only national event to bring together all of the players involved in making green schools a reality: people who lead, operate, build, and teach in U.S. schools. The intern will also provide support as needed to additional, high-priority team projects over the fall. The position requires collaboration across departments and communication with various stakeholders. Successful candidates will be able to work well both independently and in teams.
This is an unpaid position at 10-16 hours/week for 12 weeks. Hours per week and start date are flexible, depending on candidate availability
Green Schools Conference & School District Sustainability Summit
The Center team is planning two major conference events and an award ceremony in early Spring 2020 to support educators, school district leaders, and industry professionals to make progress in achieving green schools for all!
- Conduct research about local green schools and industry leaders, and potential sponsoring organizations to increase event attendance and success.
- Assist with invitations for attendees, speakers, and guests; and follow-up on attendee requests for the School District Sustainability Summit.
- Coordinate Green Schools Conference special events such as workshops and tours, student summit and other special events.
- Support the Best of Green Schools award program, including outreach to potential candidates and the judging process.
Center for Green Schools Operations
- Support the Center for Green Schools’ Building Learners education program through research, writing, and communication with participating schools.
- Support communications to Center for Green Schools stakeholders through articles, emails, and other outreach campaigns.
Additional Event Support
Provide support for several high-profile events, including but not limited to attendee registration support and follow up, program/material preparation and onsite logistics.
- Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools Award Celebration (September 2019)
- International Greenbuild Conference & Expo (November 2019)
The internship is located in the Washington, D.C., office of USGBC.
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIREMENTS/PREFERENCES
REQUIRED: Students whose studies and research interests include communications, public policy, environmental science, environmental studies, public health, geography, sustainability, sustainable business, educational leadership, or another relevant field.
PREFERRED: Experience with program implementation and/or event planning. Students who are in their third year of higher education or beyond are preferred, but exceptions are given for students in their first or second years with relevant experience.
OTHER REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Strong research and writing skills
- Excellent communication, organizational and computer skills (MS Office)
- A strong and demonstrated interest in sustainability and USGBC’s mission
The Center for Green Schools at the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) believes that all students should have the opportunity to attend schools that sustain the world they live in, enhance their health and well-being, and prepare them for 21st century careers. Our educational resources, professional learning networks, and industry-recognized tools bring sustainability to life in the classroom and encourage communities to work together toward a future that is healthier for people and the planet.