Analyst/Associate, Natural Climate Solutions
On behalf of: Emergent Forest Finance Accelerator
Location: Barcelona, Spain preferred, New York or other locations considered
Emergent Forest Finance Accelerator (Emergent) is a new not-for-profit 501(c)(4) working to accelerate financial flows to support and promote tropical forest protection, restoration, climate change mitigation, and sustainable development. Formed as a catalyst for change, Emergent is creating an innovative finance approach to jumpstart high-integrity markets for forest carbon, that can support Paris Agreement commitments and United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Dedicated to accelerating tropical forest protection at scale, Emergent focuses exclusively at the jurisdictional level, transacting REDD+ credits that meet the highest environmental and social integrity standards. Emergent does this by serving as a market intermediary to facilitate transactions and provide a reputable means for companies regulated under carbon markets, along with other potential private and public buyers, to access jurisdictional REDD+ carbon credits. Emergent in turn provides forest jurisdictions with a guaranteed source of demand for their REDD+ credits, which will streamline access to a range of buyers at scale. Emergent’s work is supported by early key partnerships with leaders including the Environmental Defense Fund, the Rockefeller Foundation, the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, and the Government of Norway. This new organization is poised for significant growth to meet the needs of this developing market.
 Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and forest Degradation, plus the sustainable management of forests, and the conservation and enhancement of forest carbon stocks (REDD+)
This position will, initially, report to the Executive Director and will work closely with the entire team at Emergent. The Analyst/Associate will be responsible for managing the team’s administrative requirements, producing drafts of critical materials (grant writing and reporting, marketing materials, investor presentations, financial models), and supporting the organization’s partnerships with public, private, and philanthropic stakeholders. The incumbent will have significant responsibilities and opportunities to engage in a broad range of organizational activities and priorities as Emergent grows.
Writing and Research (50%)
● Develop funding proposals and lead grant reporting, including for the Green Climate Fund and the Norwegian Government
● Draft materials for buyers, sellers, and investors, including slide decks and concept notes
● Conduct research and track outreach to target Emergent’s transactions to likely carbon credit buyers (large corporations) and sellers (tropical forest governments with REDD+ programs)
● Track global carbon pricing policy impacting Emergent’s work
● Manage calendars and scheduling, take notes and ensure follow up for internal and external calls and meetings
● May support operational activities as needed
● Other duties as assigned
Finance and Quantitative (20%)
● Support team in updating and building out the accelerator’s financial model and analyzing future pricing with simple statistical analyses
● Knowledge of climate policy concepts and topics, ideally relating to carbon pricing
● Experience building financial models, analyzing and manipulating data, and succinctly communicating quantitative data
● Exceptional research, writing, and communications skills
● Related education and/or work experience in either finance or environmental policy
● Master’s in a related field preferred but not required
● Ability to work independently, to manage projects and participate in research efforts, ensuring consistency and quality of outputs
● Highly organized, detail-oriented, and adaptable
● Demonstrated team player
● Foreign language ability strongly preferred, Spanish or Portuguese preferred
● Demonstrated commitment to the mission of Emergen
Emergent provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Please include your cover letter and resume in a single PDF document.