Staff Environmental-Biodiversity Scientist (Entry Level)
ERM is seeking a motivated Staff Environmental/Biodiversity Scientist to join our growing office in Washington, DC or Annapolis, MD. The successful candidate will assist Project Managers on a variety of Environmental, Biodiversity, Social & Health Impact Assessment projects to support our sustainable finance sector focus, which includes supporting multilateral and private financial institutions in managing the environmental and social risks of their investment in international development projects. This is an excellent opportunity for an early career professional to join a growing and exciting technical team, as you build a rewarding career path with a global environmental leader.
- Provide technical assistance on environmental impact assessments (EIA), environmental and social diligence and monitoring, biodiversity studies and plans, and related activities in support of ERM clients’ domestic and international development projects (i.e., oil and gas, power generation, electrical transmission, renewable/alternative energy, and mining projects). Conduct tasks related to environmental impact assessment, biodiversity studies, facility siting and permitting, risk assessment, and water resources management.
- Perform project delivery activities such as report writing, undertaking and organizing data collection and survey field work, performing data and literature review, developing recommendations for clients, and conducting field work (including remote areas).
- Assist with developing and executing corporate Impact Assessment & Planning systems and strategies.
- Work within quality/budget/schedule expectations and scope-specific assignments.
- BS in biology (preferred), environmental science, engineering, or social science; MS preferred. Minimum 3.0 GPA.
- 2 to 5 years of consulting experience, including with projects in oil & gas, power/utility or mining sectors.
- Experience assisting clients in obtaining multi-media permits and approvals for new or expanded facilities a plus.
- Experience in Latin American and the Caribbean a plus.
- Bilingual English-Spanish preferred.
- Effective written/verbal communication and organization/analytical skills; experience recording/writing detailed technical data and reports.
- Ability to multi-task, maintain flexibility, travel, and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated attributes to become a strong consultant – team player, eagerness to learn and grow, self-starter who takes initiative, versatile, and service-oriented mentality.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
Who We Are:
As the world’s leading sustainability consulting firm, ERM is uniquely positioned to contribute to the environment and society through the expertise and energy of our employees worldwide. Sustainability is what we do, and is at the heart of both our service offerings and how we operate our business. ERM and our partners are driven by a dynamic vision: By 2021 we will be the clear leader in our chosen markets, we will double in value and we will deliver on our promises to our clients, our people and our investors. For our people, our vision means attracting, inspiring, developing and rewarding our people to work with the best clients and on the biggest challenges, thus creating valuable careers. We achieve our vision in a sustainable manner by maintaining and living our ERM values that include Accountability, Caring for our People, Client Focus, Collaboration, Empowerment, and Transparency.
Please submit your resume and brief cover letter.
Qualified candidates will be contacted by email, and requested to complete a video questionnaire. Based on review of these responses, shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
ERM is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Thank you for your interest in ERM!