Director of Community Programs and Outreach
The position of Director of Community Programs and Outreach will: (1) further develop, oversee, and carry out HAF’s many community programs; (2) ensure program sustainability through community outreach and targeted fundraising; and (3) assess and meet the needs of local communities. The foundation is seeking an experienced team member who is an outgoing, highly energetic and excellent communicator who is willing to travel and seeking an opportunity to scale HAF’s current programming and carry forward their own vision for this critical role.
- Oversee, scale, and carry out community programs including but not limited to:
- Trainings and seminars (Dharma Ambassadors, anti-bullying, cultural proficiency, hate crimes prevention, temple safety and security), speaker series, local seva events in coordination with active chapters or donor bases, etc.
- Next Gen programs, including but not limited to summer Washington DC internship, Dharma Leadership Institute, Bhumi Pledge initiatives, campus speaker series, etc.
- Grants Programs including but not limited to Bhutanese American Project, Pakistani Refugee Medical Sewa Grant, and scholarships. Managing the full cycle of the grant includes, but not limited to, procuring funding, managing application process and reporting, and publicity to donors and media
- Further develop HAF’s Cultural Proficiency and other training products in conjunction with HAF’s Education Director and serve as a liaison to local, state, and national government agencies
- Develop and conduct surveys to gauge community needs and priorities
- Expand and sustain programs through creative fundraising and marketing plans, including but not limited to mass appeals, targeted asks, social media, third-party grants, corporate sponsorship, local booths, etc.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for communities requiring rapid response
- Support other staff in applying for external grants and managing grant awards programs
- On a limited basis, assist staff, Board, and National Team on urgent projects or major events that may fall outside the scope of a role
- Promote program participation utilizing donor/customer relationship management systems
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (required). Graduate degree in a relevant field in the humanities, social sciences, marketing, or communications a plus, but not required.
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience required. A strong preference will be given to candidates with experience in community organization, development and implementation of community programs, marketing, communications, and/or advocacy.
- High energy, driven, organized, and able to carry out multiple programs/initiatives across the country simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate and write effectively, and advance the organization’s programs/initiatives in meetings and other settings.
- Ability to build and maintain strategic relationships and work collaboratively with partner organizations, temples, and community members on a range of issues.
- Flexible and willing to provide input and/or assist with projects and initiatives that are not necessarily within the community programs/outreach portfolio.
- Works well in a close-knit team environment, but can complete tasks independently when necessary
- Fluency in online platforms such as Google Apps, social networks, commonly used office software.
- Experience with Salesforce or other donor/customer relationship management systems a plus.
- Strong proficiency in Hinduism and familiarity with the Hindu diaspora required.
- Must be willing and able to work some evenings and travel monthly and/or on weekends.