The Farm Hand is an essential part of the Blackbird Farm program. The Farm Hand will function within the Barn and Garden departments and support with the farms animal husbandry and gardening efforts using organic and sustainable farming techniques and will teach students about sustainable living and agriculture.
Essential Functions include, but are not limited to the following: *
• Support with general farm labor including routine care of livestock, horses, and other farm animals involving feeding, cleaning stalls and animal pens, maintaining fences, and assisting in animal husbandry activities.
• Support with general garden care, including seeding, planting, weeding, watering, harvesting 1+ acre fruit, vegetable, and flower garden and various fruit and nut orchards.
• Facilitate and participate in experiential and social emotional learning activities with a diverse audience of program participants
• Provide supervision to students of varying ages, abilities and backgrounds, including both daytime and occasionally overnight support in student housing
• Provide a physically and emotionally safe environment for participants
• Act as a role model to students in attitude and behavior
• Other duties as assigned including but not limited to: assisting with other camp programming including high ropes course, student dish duty, light cleaning, driving or leading an activity
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
• Ability to lift 30+ lbs.
• Strong leadership skills
• Open to learning new skills and strategies
• Solution focused and have a growth mindset, turning challenge into opportunity
• Ability to work independently and efficiently, exercising reasonable judgment, in a fast-paced, multi-task environment with minimal supervision.
• Ability to synergize with students and staff to manage and monitor the growth of the program.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure and demonstrate problem-solving skills, while maintaining courtesy, professionalism, and a customer service attitude.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Experience, Education and Qualifications:
• Must be 21 years of age
• Must hold valid driver’s license for at least the past 3 years and have a clean driving record
• 1 to 2 years’ experience working with youth that have struggled to find success in traditional educational settings
• Bachelor’s degree preferred
• Employee must pass TB Test and Livescan Background