Sustainable Energy Finance Graduate Fellowship (12 months)
Sustainable Capital Advisors (SCA) is a strategy consulting and financial advisory firm that assists public and private sector clients in developing business and financial solutions for the sustainable infrastructure sector. Our core belief is that while our engagements involve a diversity of technologies located in geographies across the globe, the fundamentals of developing successful ventures remain unchanged. As an active market participant, we survey the entire landscape and deliver solutions that best meet our clients’ needs. SCA is currently working on a variety of exciting projects such as: designing an integrated financing platform for implementing clean energy projects for the affordable housing sector, advising renewable energy developers on the identification of strategic capital sources to support project and corporate development needs, developing long-term business strategies with governmental clients for large sustainable infrastructure projects, and assisting electric utilities with creating an integrated plan for the development of clean energy projects (renewable and energy efficiency) for customers in their respective service territories.
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated Graduate Student to join our team as a Sustainable Energy Financial Analyst Fellow. This 12-month position is located at our office in Washington, DC and will commence September 2019. It will be Part-Time during the school year and Full-Time during Summer 2020. During this fellowship, you will be given a series of projects to execute under the supervision of senior SCA professionals. Your responsibilities may include the following:
- Perform due diligence and prepare presentation materials for innovative finance and capital structures;
- Provide on-going support during the structuring, negotiating, and closing phases of transactions;
- Create and maintain complex project finance models for wind, biomass, solar, water, transportation and energy efficiency financings; and
- Analyze economics of State and local incentive programs and recommending new market opportunities.
- Gather and organize data related to trends in the sustainable infrastructure sector by technology, geography, and policy;
- Assisting in the development of client proposals and presentations;
- Researching local, national, and international conferences and events for company speaking engagements; and
- Support business development efforts through activities such as profiling investors, developers and potential off-take counterparties.
- Research, write, and edit articles and web content on a broad range of energy, environment, and policy issues for posting to social media and SCA website;
- Prepare responses to RFPs;
- Research and drafting marketing materials such as presentations, articles, and white papers; and
- Attending hearings, meetings, other legislative activities, and scientific and policy briefings and sharing observations with SCA team verbally or in writing.
The ideal candidate will have a general knowledge and interest in the area of clean energy, climate change and sustainability combined with the ability to summarize and communicate complex ideas succinctly. In addition, a candidate should have the following qualifications and attributes:
- Pursuing an advanced degree in Communications, Business, Public Policy, Economics, Law, International Relations, Engineering, Science, Environmental Studies, or Finance;
- Excellence in financial modeling and conducting numerical analysis with special attention to detail (useful but not a requirement);
- Mastery of Microsoft Office products (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc);
- Excellent written, verbal communication, and public presentation skills;
- Ability to create an analysis, draw conclusions, and make recommendations;
- Ability to work in a team environment, including virtually with SCA team members located in our New York office;
- Positive attitude, intellectual curiosity, initiative, and an ability to face and innovatively manage issues in a mature and professional manner; and
- Open to feedback, with strong desire to develop professional skills.
The position provides a $200-225 PT weekly stipend; commensurate with experience. The fellow will work directly with senior members of the SCA team on a variety of matters, which will provide a breadth of hands-on experience unlikely to be found elsewhere.
Please do not call, as we will contact you regarding the status of the position. We will be accepting applications and conducting decisions on a rolling basis. SCA values diversity and strongly encourages women and/or people of color to apply for this position.