Energy Corps - Sustainability Associate (Park County and City of Livingston)
Name and location of host site: Park County, MT and the City of Livingston -
Title: Sustainability Associate
Number of positions: 1
Reports to: Energy Corps Program Director
Term of service: October 1, 2019 – August 28, 2020
Anticipated service schedule: 1700 hours over course of service term. Roughly 40 hours per week. Occasional evening/weekend hours may be necessary.
Livingston and Park County are in transition. Traditional industries such as agriculture and railroad maintenance have given way to tourism, residential development, outdoor activities and cultural events. We have a housing shortage, lack of high paying jobs, traffic congestion and substantial poverty. Through community and administrative support, Livingston and Park County have made progress in energy use, conservation, and recycling programs and want to continue addressing sustainability through our operations and in the community.
Addressing energy costs in our operations and within the community is one substantial way of reducing the outflow of energy dollars and providing economic development in the larger community. Given our tight budgets, both City and County governments have a commitment to make smart, economic decisions concerning energy use. We seek to join the energy transition movement in taking advantage of our energy resources to deliver economic justice and community-based development.
Specific Position Responsibilities:
- Develop Community Energy Action Plan.
- Advance implementation of Municipal Energy Action Plan.
- Conduct Vehicle Fleet Electrification cost benefit analysis.
- Pursue energy data tracking installation in schools and public buildings.
- Advocate for City and County energy goals during commission meetings.
- Support local energy advocacy with the Yellowstone Bend Citizen’s Council.
- Organize community events focused on relevant energy topics.
- Seek proposals for Solar PV installations and present attractive projects to city and county.
Specific Position Requirements:
- Education in Engineering, Environmental Science, Energy Analysis, Building Sciences, or related field.
- Comfortable with data collection and analysis.
- Interest in local approaches to address energy democratization, renewable energy, climate change, and sustainability.
- Skilled in verbal and written communications and has an interest in transferring information to varied audiences via presentations, websites, social media and other non-traditional venues
- Background in Solar PV is a plus.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Must be over 18 with a high school diploma or GED; some college or work experience preferred
- Ability to work as part of a team and individually
- Ability to relate to people from diverse backgrounds
- Good organization and communication skills, presents self in a professional manner, and is outgoing and personable
- Experienced public speaker and excellent writing skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite
- Background and/or interest in energy
- Member will not have reoccurring access to vulnerable populations
Benefits: This Energy Corps position will receive the following benefits:
- Opportunity to make a difference in a community
- Green job training and professional development
- Living allowance of $13,992 over term of service
- An AmeriCorps Education Award of $6,095 upon successful completion of service
- Health benefits and child care assistance if qualified
APPLICATION PROCESS: Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate can be identified. Early applications are encouraged and applications will be considered as they are received. All persons interested in being considered for the position must create an AmeriCorps account and apply. You can create an account and explore AmeriCorps opportunities at: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do
NCAT values diversity and encourages minority and women applicants to apply. For additional information about NCAT please visit our website at www.ncat.org.It is NCAT’s policy and organizational philosophy to ensure that all of our employment practices, including recruitment and hiring, are administered for all individuals without regard to race, sex, creed, color, national origin, age, religion, marital or veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
Job Type: Temporary